The world of MEISSEN KERAMIK
Quality, long-lasting designs, innovative technologies and sustainability - this is what has been characteristic of MEISSEN KERAMIK GmbH for more than 150 years. Thus, our company is one of the oldest tile manufacturers in Germany with a very long tradition.
However, we are not simply relying on our tradition but always looking for the best, and following the Bauhaus philosophy “Good shape for an attractive price”, we are developing tile collections satisfying highest design and quality standards - and always with a well-balanced price-performance ratio.
At Meißen in Saxony, the more than 150 employees are producing over 2.8 million square metres of tiles every year - made in Germany and according to the latest technical and quality standards. At our parent company, Cersanit S.A., further 7 million square metres of tiles are produced for MEISSEN KERAMIK every year - which of course meet the elevated requirements of our brand.
At the same time, as part of the internationally operating Rovese Group, one of the leading European manufacturers of high-quality sanitary and bathroom ceramics, we have considerable advantages compared to our competitors: for example, we can offer our high quality at reasonable prices and have better possibilities at the development of new products.
Although we are striving to establish ourselves in the international market, we are actively committed to environmental protection: we are obtaining our raw materials exclusively from the regions around our production sites at Meißen as well as Wałbrzych and Opoczno in Poland. A responsible production and extensive investments in efficient and ecologically compatible processes ensure sustainable tile collections.
Our way from the Meißen tile producer up to the full-range supplier of high-quality tile collections started in the year 1863. At the Saxon porcelain and ceramics town of Meißen, the founder Carl Teichert found the ideal conditions for his first ceramic tiles: the unique white biscuit.
The beginning of the porcelain manufacture.
The birth of the earthenware tile: Meißner Ofen- und Porzellanfabrik, formerly Carl Teichert, started the production of earthenware wall tiles as first company at Meißen.
As of 1920
The characteristic MEISSEN wall tiles increasingly made up the main part of the product range.
As of 1923
As sole factory in Germany, the company produced the frost-resistant wall tile in the size of 15 cm x 15 cm. In the segment of wall tiles, the Meißen stove industry was one of the leading manufacturers up to the 1940s.
The Meißen stove industry became the market leader in Germany.
Considerable investments in connection with major building ceramics orders for representative buildings at Berlin (Stalinallee, Weberwiese).
In the GDR, the coveted “blue tiles“ from Meißen became the synonym for freely convertible currencies.
January 1, 1992
With the privatization and the change of the firm name into MEISSEN KERAMIK GmbH, the foundations for today’s market success were laid in 1992.
October 11, 2000
Commissioning of a second wall tile production line with an investment of 17 million DM (annual production: approx. 3.5 million m²).
April 1, 2010
Takeover of the company by EnCo S.a.r.l. (today Cersanit S.A.) and investments in the amount of 3 million € for technological modernization.
Investment in the new Niederau logistics location in the amount of 3 million €.
150th anniversary at the company’s headquarters at Meißen.
New appearance of the sales brand Meissen Keramik